Melody

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tommy and Miranda

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Maddie

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

December 31, 2009

Breech! AAAARRGG!

I have had a picky feeling for about a month now that this baby was not in the position she should be in. I had a few appointments and was told not by my OB, but by the Midwife who was taking care of my OB's appointments while she was in surgery, that she was just right and head down. Ok so then I thought I was just being paranoid since Melody was breech and it was a very difficult experience for me to deal with.
We had tried an External Version, which basically means they slick up your tummy and try to turn the baby from the outside through pushing and pulling and it is not fun. The Version did not work because Melody was wedged in my pelvis which caused her all sorts of issues with her hips later. We ended up having a C-Section at 37 weeks because We went in with contractions in the middle of the night and I was dilated to a three and they were concerned that I was going to continue progressing and then have issues with delivery. My C-Section really wasn't that bad. I didn't feel too much pain after since they kept my Epidural in for 2 days so I didn't even really feel anything until they took my staples out. My tummy muscles were shot and I had a hard time sitting up for about a week and doing any lifting was pretty much out of the question, but as far as recovery goes it wasn't too bad. My biggest complaint about my C-Section is that it turned a beautiful moment in to a very clinical experience. I had been planning on having that push moment that everyone dreams of when all of your hard work comes to fruition and your baby pops out and starts to cry. I wanted my baby set on my stomach and I wanted to feel her warm, wet little body in my arms right off the bat. I wanted to make them wait to cut the cord until it stopped pulsing, Which if you haven't read about it is very good for your baby. I wanted to immediately bond with her. This did not happen at all. They cut her out and cut the cord weighed and attended to her wrapped her up and brought her over and showed her to me. Then they swept her away and I made Danny go with her and there I remained on the table as they pulled and tugged and stitched and stapled me up. I didn't actually get to hold her until she had been in the world for over an hour. I had a hard time reconciling this little bundle with the little moving bump in my belly. Not that I didn't love her right away, but it was just disappointing. I was hoping to chalk the whole ordeal up to a life experience that many do not get and I have always been proud to have had the experience under my belt.
I was pleasantly surprised with the twins to have them positioned perfectly and I was able to VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean) them to the surprise and awe of all I meet. The birth still wasn't exactly what I was hoping for, but better than the C-Section experience since I did get to hold each of them directly following their births and I was able to bond right off the bat. They still did not wait to cut the cord as I had wanted because when Miranda was born they cut the cord and immediately broke Tommy's water in order to ensure that he would remain in the head down position and still be able to be delivered vaginally. By the time Tommy got there I was exhausted and just happy to have him there. I still had to deliver in the OR due to the high risk of the VBAC with twins. Yet again not the ideal, but still pretty good.
I was so looking forward to the birth of my dreams this time. I thought this should be pretty awesome to be able to deliver in a normal room with Danny, my mom and possibly my sisters present. I was excited to demand that the cord not be cut until it stopped pulsing. I was really looking forward in to getting things going and having it all be as I had hoped all along. At my appointment this week my doctor checked me. I was 60% effaced and at a 2 dialation. Some progress had been made. Then she said the words I was dreading "I am just going out to grab the ultrasound machine to take a look at this little one, the head felt quite soft". Terror! Lo and Behold there was her head right up close to my heart where I had feared it was for over a month but had been assured it wasn't, but instead was a bum. Not a bum. So now we are facing the same situation we had with Melody. They wanted to try another Version today. I am hesitant as it was not a good experience before. I have been flooded with lots of good advise from family and friends. I have tried several methods from the Internet, but so far I have only felt her lean to the side, but always goes back to having her head up high. I have a C-Section scheduled for Tuesday at 12:30 and they are going to try at 10:30 to turn her with a version. I am hoping and praying that she turns on her own before then, And if not I am hoping the version works this time. If it does and I am not in labor they will cancel the C-Section and send me home to wait and hope she doesn't turn back. If not it is another C-Section for us. I know that the most important thing is that she get here safely and that we both are healthy, but I soooo don't want another surgery under my belt. I so don't want my old scar re-opened and run the risk of later problems that could be avoided.
I am ranting I know. I really don't meant to complain, but I am. I hope that all of you that read this understand that I am just ranting and that I truly am grateful that she is healthy and that this pregnancy has gone well and that soon I will have a new little one to hold and snuggle and love. I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father for each of my kids no matter how they got here they are here and I am sooooo blessed. If you have any words of encouragement or advise please don't hesitate to leave it, also I would love as many prayers as could be sent our way. I am so thankful for you, my many friends and family.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I have to say that ever since you posted on Facebook that she is still head up, you've been on my mind a lot.

It's interesting to me that you've had two very different birthing experiences from your last two pregnancies. Wouldn't it be nice to add a third? Three pregnancies, three totally different stories.

So, I'm pulling for you... and still singing my "Turning Around Is Fun To Do" song. After all, we all know that singing is the best way to get kids to do something.

TURN, TURN, TURN BABY GIRL!

Oh and by the way, you'll have to tell me why the cord this is so important to you. Not that I disagree, I just don't know. That's my own ignorance speaking. Of course, I guess I could just look it up on the internet.

...Thinking turning thoughts for you...

Cathy said...

I am glad that you love the experience of childbirth and that you want the very best for your children. You are a wonderful mother and your children reflect that! This little one will be so blessed to be in your family. You know our prayers are with you - we will be happy with this little one no matter what happens. Faith, trust, and hope will get you through anything.
Love you tons,
Mom

Dance

Pam's Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones